Sunmed Health and Weight Management
Internists located in Visalia, CA
Preventive geriatrics care lowers your risk for age-related illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. If you or a loved one is struggling to find personalized geriatrics care with a physician who treats his patients like family, call Dr. Gilbert Sunio at Sunmed Health and Weight Management in Visalia, California or schedule an appointment online today.
Geriatrics Q & A
What is geriatrics care?
Geriatrics is a type of medical care for older adults. High-quality geriatrics care takes a patient-centered approach and provides them with the following health and wellness benefits:
- Helps prevent or delay disability and disease
- Improves health in elderly patients
- Maintains patient independence
- Improves quality of life for older adults
Seeing a physician who specializes in geriatrics care is crucial for maximizing the health of elderly patients. Getting the right care, support, and treatment can add years to your or your loved one’s life.
What is dementia?
Dementia refers to a group of symptoms associated with impaired thinking skills and memory loss, which is common in older age. Dementia can make it difficult for older adults to function well in society and, in some cases, even stay safe. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia and a leading cause of death in the United States today.
What are the symptoms of dementia?
It’s helpful to learn about the symptoms of dementia, so you know when to seek treatment. People with dementia will exhibit two or more of the following core symptoms:
- Memory loss (losing a wallet or purse, forgetting appointments and names, and getting lost in places that should be familiar)
- Inability to pay attention
- Difficulty with language and communication
- Impaired judgment and reasoning skills
- Impaired visual perception (inability to make sense of the environment around you)
How is dementia treated?
There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease or many of the other forms of dementia, but the following treatments may help improve the symptoms and delay the disease’s progression:
- Occupational therapy
- Simplifying tasks and day-to-day life
- Ongoing health care support and monitoring
Older adults, especially those with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, may require additional assistance as they age. As these conditions progress, Dr. Sunio can provide referrals for home care, home health, and hospice care, as needed.
If you or your loved one suffers from dementia or needs routine preventive geriatrics care, call Dr. Sunio or book an appointment online today.